Who Pays for College When Parents Divorce?

 Posted on July 11, 2022 in Divorce

lombard-il-divorce-lawyer.jpgEvery state makes its own laws when it comes to divorce, child custody, and child support. This also includes whether or not a parent will be responsible for any contributions towards their child’s college education. In Illinois, the state is committed to ensuring that every person has the opportunity to obtain an education. This can also include requiring a parent who has the means to pay towards their child’s college education.

Illinois Law

Under Illinois law, the judge presiding over a divorce can order parents to pay for a child’s educational expenses. This not only includes tuition for school, but also can include other educational-related expenses, as well. This may include books, supplies, housing, food, and other expenses associated with the child completing their studies. It is also important to note that this order does not just cover college or attending a university but can also cover the cost of the child attending a vocational school, trade school, or any other training for a career.

The law does have certain stipulations. While the order for education expenses are in effect until the child reaches the age of 23, the child is required to maintain at least a C-grade point average. Parents also cannot be ordered to pay college expenses above what those expenses would be if the child was attending the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. If the child chooses to go to a school with a higher tuition cost than UIUC, the parent is not required to cover that extra cost.

The court can also stipulate in the order that the child be required to contribute to expenses if they have the means to. The law also states that once the child graduates with a bachelor’s degree or marries, the parents’ education obligations are over.

Contact a DuPage County Family Law Attorney for Legal Assistance

If you are going through a divorce and have children, there are many decisions that will need to be made. Not only will the court issue an order for allocation of parental responsibilities and parenting time, but the responsibility for child support will also be issued. It is important to remember during any negotiations with your soon to be ex that education expenses are separate from the expenses that child support is supposed to cover.

Having a skilled Naperville, IL divorce attorney advocating for you and protecting your child’s best interest is critical for a successful outcome. Call J. Aldrich Law, P.C. at 630-953-3000 to schedule a free consultation to find out what legal options you may have.



Share this post:

Recent Blog Posts



address1700 Park St., Suite 203F, Naperville, IL 60563
hoursEvenings and Weekends by Appointment