Naperville Lawyers for Post Decree Modifications and Enforcement

Illinois Divorce Attorneys Serving DuPage, Will, and Cook Counties

Family law cases do not always end when a judgment is entered or an agreement is signed. In many cases, the terms of a divorce decree or another type of judgment must be legally enforced and/or revisited down the line. At J. Aldrich Law, P.C., we are experienced in handling all types of post decree modifications and enforcement issues. We strongly advocate for our clients’ interests in pursuing modifications of court orders and when court orders are not properly followed.

Post Decree Modifications in Illinois

In family law, the orders of the court are meant to take into account many factors and endure for some time. As the circumstances in the lives of the parties to the order change, however, modifications are often warranted. Changes are commonly made to parental responsibilities and parenting time (formerly child custody and visitation), child support, and alimony/maintenance orders. There are some situations that can justify the need for a modification including:

  • Substantial changes in income or earning potential for either party;
  • Substantial changes in financial obligation of either party;
  • Removal or relocation of a child;
  • Desire to change parental responsibilities or parenting time; and
  • Repeated violations of existing court orders.

Post Decree Enforcement

If the other party to your divorce or family law matter fails to obey the terms of your court-ordered decree, there is legal recourse to compel compliance. Whether the decree involves child or spousal support matters or parenting time matters, our attorneys can handle your enforcement case. In cases involving the allocation of parental responsiblities and parenting time, non-compliance can involve:

  • Preventing the non-custodial parent from visiting the child;
  • Failing to return the child to the custodial parent on time after visitation;
  • Picking up the child at an unarranged time;
  • Failing to pick up the child at the arranged time; and
  • Failing to follow the prearranged pickup/drop-off protocols.

Our attorneys will assess your situation to determine if a violation has occurred and recommend the best course of action. In some circumstances, a modification of the original agreement or order may be warranted if the other party cannot or will not operate according to the court order.

If you are not receiving the support you are entitled to, we can also help you petition the court. An indirect contempt of court proceeding, which can have serious consequences, may be necessary. In extreme cases, the court may order jail time for non-payment of child support. The Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) is also tasked with enforcing child support orders, and they have numerous tactics at their disposal to extract payment.

If the terms of your court-ordered decree are being violated, or your circumstances have changed to the point that a modification is required, contact our attorneys at 630-953-3000 to schedule a free initial consultation. We will examine your court order carefully and discuss your legal options for enforcement or modification. Our firm is conveniently located in Naperville, and we work with clients throughout Northern Illinois including DuPage County, Will, Kendall, Kane, and Cook Counties.

Practice Areas

Recent Blog Posts

address1700 Park St., Suite 203F, Naperville, IL 60563
hoursEvenings and Weekends by Appointment