Job Loss and Support Obligations

 Posted on March 31, 2015 in Uncategorized

If you owe a support obligation, whether it is child support or maintenance (alimony), and you lose your job or experience a decrease in pay, your support obligation does not automatically stop. You must continue to pay the court-ordered support amount until a new court order is entered changing your support amount. If you stop paying, or fail to pay the full amount, without filing the appropriate petition, an arrearage will begin to accrue and your missed payments will even accumulate interest. It is your responsibility to file a petition to suspend, abate or modify your support obligation under these circumstances. We can help you file the appropriate petition and obtain relief as soon as possible. It is important to know that simply filing the petition does not trigger the modification or suspension. However, in many circumstances, we can request retroactive modification back to the date of filing your petition. That is why it is important to contact us the moment your employment situation changes. We offer free consultations to discuss your situation and to determine whether you are eligible for some form of relief.

Share this post:

Recent Blog Posts



address1700 Park St., Suite 203F, Naperville, IL 60563
hoursEvenings and Weekends by Appointment