Expunge Your Criminal Record

 Posted on January 22, 2016 in Criminal Defense

It's a new year, why not start 2016 with a fresh start? If you have been previously arrested, charged, or even convicted, you may be able to clean up your criminal record by filing a Petition to Expunge or a Petition to Seal your criminal record. A criminal history can cost you a job, admission to college or can have other negative consequences on your life and future. The process of Expungement entails petitioning the court for the entry of an order directing law enforcement agencies to destroy or return to you all documents related to a prior criminal arrest and/or charge. The benefit to expungement is that employers, colleges, universities, and the general public will no longer be able to see that old arrest or criminal charge

Expungement is generally available to defendants who either: were arrested and released without charges; were acquitted; were placed on supervision; or had the charges against them dismissed. No matter the disposition, in order to be eligible for expungement, you must not have any criminal charges pending and you must not have any prior convictions on your record. Additionally, certain crimes are not eligible for expungement, including sex offenses, DUI, and Reckless Driving. Expungement generally applies only to prior misdemeanors. However, certain felony drug offenses can be expunged if you were placed on a special form of probation. 

If you believe you may be eligible for expungement, contact our criminal attorneys at J. Aldrich Law, P.C. for a free consultation. We will discuss your eligibility and explore your options. If expungement isn't available to you, we may be able to file a Petition to Seal your record. So call us today and find out if we can help you brighten your future with a fresh start!


Share this post:

Recent Blog Posts



address1700 Park St., Suite 203F, Naperville, IL 60563
hoursEvenings and Weekends by Appointment